The full Vitello Tonnato Recipe from Pia's 1930s family cookbook.
Vitello Tonnato (without mayonnaise):
The Meat Ingredients:
a piece of veal top round, tied with kitchen twine
2 spoons of Olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 spoon of wine vinegar
Add vegetables (to your liking)
1. Boil the meat with all the ingredients above.
2. Lower the fire and cover the pot and let it cook for 40mins.
3. Let it cool down in the pan with the cover top on.
The Sauce Ingredients:
200g of can of tuna in olive oil
2 cans of anchovy fillets in olive oil
2 spoons of capers
1 squeezed lemon juice
2 egg yolks
Olive oil (pour it by eye)
4. Boil the eggs for 8 minutes.
5. Cover the eggs with cold water and bring the water to boil for about 8 minutes.
6. Take out the eggs and put them under cold water.
7. Take out the yolk.
8. Put in the hand mixer:
9. Add some of the cooking broth from the meat so that the sauce smoothens and softens
10. Cut the meat and put the sauce on top.
For the composition of the plate check picture below.
Pictures of the original recipe from my great-grandmother's cookbook below.